Monday, October 02, 2006

Hello Life!!!


Somewhere along the way I got my life back. I just realized it today. Don't know why it took me so long to recognize it. I know most of you are Moms that are reading this. You are familiar with the loss of self when you first have your child. The endless days of mind numbing repetitions. Diaper after Diaper. Bottle after Bottle. I remember thinking my life would never be fun again! I wondered if I would ever look forward to the dawn of a new day. I wondered if I would ever feel fully rested again. I have to say that nowadays, everything is fun, each day I look forward to waking up, and I am back to staying up late and feeling nice and rested in the morning!

My transition into motherhood was quite a startling event. I used to live my life thinking of only myself, as most 20 somethings do. I could go to the barn at 10:00 p.m. if I wanted to. I could take myself out to lunch and leisurely read a favorite book. I could go to the movies at the drop of a hat. I had more friends. All of a sudden I found out Wyatt was on his way and I knew all those things were quickly coming to a close. The "Me" chapter of life was ending. I lost friends but looking back they were friends I needed to lose. I can still go to the barn at 10:00 pm because it's location has changed. Lunch isn't so leisurely but it isn't spent alone either!! And maybe I can't go to movies on the drop of a hat but I sure can cuddle on the couch and watch one with Wyatt!

So anyways, I have to say that the first 6 months of being a Mom were tough. Harder than I ever could have prepared myself for. But I'm a different person now than I was during that time. The subsequent 8 months have been a joy and little by little I'm finding things in my life I love much more than the things I thought I would miss. So here is a brief breakdown of my "new" favorite things. .

1. Open mouth sloppy kisses!
2. Cuddle time!
3. Conversations/Translations in the "grunt" language
4. Toys
5. Nap Time!
6. Saturdays with Grami & PaPaw
7. Sundays with my two favorite guys
8. Hearing "Mama" constantly! (like every minute)
9. Singing Silly Songs
10. Appreciating the innocence of children.

I have to thank my son for teaching me to appreciate all those things and for turning me into a Mommy. I love my job!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a sweet post. I understand completely, though I still haven't found myself yet. I credit your family involvement and your level head ;)